Why we need to perform insulation resistance tester?This test is strongly recommended to prevent electrical shock for equipment,electric motor or electric cable.We also can determine any abnormal condition or leakage before installation and can rectify the problem.
Insulation resistance tester is the one of important equipment/meter for determining the resistance of the insulation in motor winding, transformers winding or electrical cable in good condition or not.
This tool facilitates off to make an informed decision about the condition of equipments can be used again, whether or not based on the value of reading difficulties.According to standard IEEE 43: IR test minimum value of the electric motor is a 1 Mega Ohm ( 1 MΩ )
Insulation Resistance Tester Layout
- Test Voltage : 500 VDC
- Measuring range : 0 – 200 MΩ
- Accuracy : 2 %
- Weight : 460 gram
- Batteries : 8 x 1.5 VDC size : AA
Preparation for Insulation Resistance Measurement
1) How to connect TEST LEADS?
- Connect the red test lead into terminal marked LINE and the black lead into terminal marked EARTH.
2) Battery Voltage Check
- Press the Blue button to check the voltage of battery.The analog needle will show the reading.
- Replace the battery if voltage is below than minimum level.
3) Test Lead Check
- With the tip and alligator clip connected,press the test button.It will indicated zero reading.That mean this instrument is OK.
4) Disconnect power supply before test
- Turn off the power supply before perform the measurement test.It will cause the serious injury if circuit or motor in LIVE condition.
I’ve explain more detail in my video clip :
” HOW TO USE INSULATION RESISTANCE TESTER METER? ”