Electrical motor is the common used in industry all over the world.It very important device to made production smoothly.To ensure the electrical motor condition is good or not,we must know how to testing it.
The electrician or maintenance person must have this skill to determine the electrical motor condition,defected or cannot use anymore.It can save the repair cost and maintenance expenditure.
How to testing electric motor?
- Check the appearance of motor.find any defect at body,cooling fan or shaft.
- Try to swing manually the rotor shaft check the bearing condition.Check either it smooth rotating or not.
- Collect the motor data from motor NAME PLATE.It very important to know about specs of motor before we testing.
- Ensure the terminal for power supply in good condition.Check the connection bar for terminal ( U,V,W ).What kind of connection for terminal.( STAR OR DELTA ).
- Please confirm first the power supply VOLTAGE for electric motor.It single phase or three phase type.
- Using the multimeter,check the continuity of winding from phase to phase ( U to V,V to W ,W to U ).Each phase to phase must have a continuity if winding is OK.
- Check the motor winding ohms reading using multimeter or ohmmeter for phase to phase terminal ( U to V,V to W ,W to U ).Reading for each phase must same within one or two ohms deference.If no reading,maybe winding was defect.
- Check the insulation resistance of motor winding using Insulation tester meter on 500 Volt scale.First check from phase to phase ( U to V,V to W ,W to U ) and second check from phase to earthing ( U to E,V to E ,W to E ).According to standard IEEE 43: IR test minimum value of the electric motor is a 1 Mega Ohm ( 1 MΩ ) . It mean winding is in good condition.Refer my last post how to test motor using insulation tester meter.
- After all step we perform and the testing result is OK,now we test in actual condition.Why we test it with power supply?It is to ensure no mechanical defect like bearing problem or unbalance rotor movement.
- When motor is running,we must check the AMPERE of motor using Clamp on meter.Refer to FLA at name plate of motor.
- If every step is completed,now we can decide the condition of electrical motor either OK or NEED TO REPAIR.
Now i hope you`ll can get some step how to check or testing the electrical motor from my post this time.This is a guide for all technician or maintenance person for improve their skills for troubleshooting….TROUBLESHOOTING IS ART :D