Air-conditioner is one of equipment that used and popular in around the world to cooling our room,office or any space.Now in our market,air-conditioner have in many types and sizes.It depend on our application and types of space that we want use it.
When install an air-conditioner,we want it running in more efficiency and enough capacity can cooling the room.So we must install the right size for our room to ensure it suitable with room size and our application.
If we choose a smaller size for air-conditioner,it will running all the times to cooling the room.Your electricity bills will increase.But if you choose too big,it can kill you also with high electricity cost.So we need to choose a right size for air-conditioner.
Calculation for sizing an air-conditioner
Ok..this time i want share the simple basic of calculation how to sizing the air-conditioner.This is a critical part to ensure our selection is suitable with our requirement for room or any space that we want to cooling.
We must calculate the total heat for that room in unit Btu/hr.From this we can convert Btu/hr to air-conditioner size in horse power ( Hp ).We can estimate the size depend on horse power ( hp ).
Total heat calculation ( Btu/hr ) :
1) Measure your room or space area ( width x length ).Use a metric unit for measurement ( meter ).Multiply with 700 to get in Btu/hr
Example : Room area = 10 meter x 6 meter = 60 m2
Btu/hr = 60 x 700 = 42,000 Btu/hr
2) Estimate occupant for this room.multiply with 500 to get in Btu/hr
Example : 5 peoples x 500 = 2500 Btu/hr
3) Estimate the heat from electrical equipments such as lighting,television,computer,fax machine,radio or etc.Refer wattage for equipment and multiply with 3.5
Example : TV = 100 watt, Computer : 200 watt, lighting : 150 watt ; Total : 450 watt
so 450 watt x 3.5 = 1575 Btu/hr
4) So we add all answer to get a total Btu/hr.
Example : 42,000 Btu/hr + 2,500 Btu/hr + 1,575 Btu/hr = 46,075 Btu/hr
5) To get air-conditioner sizing, we must divide Total heat ( Btu/hr) with 9800 Btu/hr
* This value is depend on cooling capacity for each air-conditioner due to efficiency of compressor.It maybe 9,800 btu/hr,10,000 btu/hr or 12,000 btu/hr
Example : 46,075 / 9800 = 4.7 hp
6) From this answer we can estimate to choose a 5 Hp of air-conditioner for our room.
If you not sure to calculate air-conditioner size for your room,Please contact your local HVAC expert and the will calculate and advice the suitable size and types of air-conditioner for you.
This calculation is just for estimation value.It not absolute answer for your air-conditioner sizing.You can make a comparison your estimate air-conditioner size with your local HVAC expert.I hope this information can help all of you how to sizing the air-conditioner to avoid unnecessary cost.