Electrostatic level is a sudden electric current flow from one material to another material.If we remember how to generated electro static using rod plastic and cloth on science lab class.
Theoretically a voltage level for ESD can damage for any electronic component is around 100-500 Volt.For the very sensitive electronic components,normally it only can withstand around 25-170 Volt.
How we can known the Electrostatic damage (ESD) phenomena?Normally we possibility can hear a ”click” sound when touching an object or equipment.From the research possibility voltage generate for the “click” sound is at least 3.5 kV.
Electrostatic voltage levels
If we can see a spark when touching the object,maybe the voltage value around 10.Below i listed some values are given for typical Electrostatic charge:
- Walking on a wall-to-wall carpet: 10 – 20 kV
- Walking on a plastic floor (PVC): 2 – 5 kV
- Walking on an anti-static floor: 0 – 2 kV
- Lifting paper from a table: 5 – 35 kV
- Rising from a chair: 10 -25 kV
Protection against Electricstatic (ESD) damages
To ensure our electronic equipment or machine not damage / defect cause by electro static discharge,we must take a necessary action to reduce the possibility.Take a serious note when perform services or troubleshooting for electronic component such as printed circuit board,control panel,VSD or softstarter.
Following item is several actions to prevent damages from electrostatic discharge:
- Avoid charge if possible
- Use a wrist strap or similar connected to ground potential when working with electrical components
- Used the right type of package (ESD protected bags, etc.)
- Ensure all connection machines and apparatus to ground potential ( Earthing )
- Set in High humidity level
- Use a Anti static protection or hand tools